This recipe is SO good! It was created actually for clients mine who are on a keto diet due to health reasons, so they are restricted to a very limited amount of carbohydrates (from other sources than vegetables). But, we all have cravings for our favorite comfort foods. But if there is one thing I’ve learned over all these years and in my own personal journey, it is that all foods can be rehabbed to be better for you and more nutrient dense while still aligning with your health goals and nutritional needs.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, low carb, keto, and vegetarian. It does contain eggs, and can easily be adjusted to be paleo.
• 1 eggplant peeled and cut into spears (like thick fries)
• 1 to 1½ cup almond flour (depending on the size of your eggplant) - you can use store bought almond flour or make your own by grounding whole almonds in a food processor or high speed blender
• 3/4 cup gluten free panko bread crumbs (omit for paleo)
• ½ cup marinara sauce (optional)
• 2-3 large eggs, whisked in a bowl (depending on the size of your eggplant)
• 1 tbsp chopped parsley (for garnishing)
• ½ tbsp garlic powder
• ½ tbsp paprika
• ½ tbsp Trader Joe’s Everyday seasoning
• ½ tsp cayenne (optional, if you like a kick)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• coconut or olive oil spray
• parchment paper
Pre heat oven to 400°F.
Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with coconut or olive oil to prevent sticking.
Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
Mix almond flour, panko and all seasonings (except parsley) in a separate bowl. Blend everything together well with a fork, taste and adjust spices to taste.
Using tongs, dip the eggplant spears in the egg, coat well, then in the dry almond flour mixture, be sure to coat the entire spear. chicken into the whisked egg and then press into the almond flour and evenly coat both sides. Then place on baking sheet. Repeat for all spears, lining the fries neatly on the sheet without them touching.
Give a light spray to the “breaded” spears with coconut or olive oil to help create crispiness.
Bake on middle-top rack for about 30 minutes or until fries are cooked and somewhat soft inside, and starting to brown on the outside. If needed for crispiness, broil at 500 degrees for 3-5 minutes.
Remove from oven, and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Then garnish with chopped parsley. (optional) dip in fresh marinara sauce for a healthier condiment.
Pair with a salad, sandwich/wrap, healthy variation of a burger, or as a snack or appetizer. They are addicting through!
*Store any left overs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Left overs are delicious cold, or to re-heat, pop in the oven or toaster oven for 10-12 minutes until warm and crispy.
#vegetarian #kidfriendly #weightloss #glutenfree #fitnessfood #dairyfree #recipe #cooking