Healthy Crispy Chicken Tenders
I know we all get bored of eating the same thing day after day. For those of us that want to stay consistent on our nutrition programs and keep hitting our health & fitness goals, creativity in the kitchen and variety are critical. We have to always be looking for ways to create and KEEP a life long, lasting lifestyle change that supports your health. That’s where I come in! I am here to support you, keep you accountable, give tips and ideas, and of course new recipes!
I have been wanting to come up with an alternative to fried chicken and fried fish, without actually frying, using a ton of added fats, and without using flour or any other simple carbohydrate or starch. There are so many wonderful complex carbs we can use when cooking that we don’t even think about! This was my first time making this recipe, so next time I will definitely make some tweeks. I totally enjoyed this recipe though! I divided the entire package of chicken once cooked into 5 portions, pre-packaging them in tupperware, so all week I had a perfect serving of lean protein ready to go. I wouldn’t recommend microwaving this chicken to reheat it, it will get soggy I just ate them cold and they really do taste like breaded, chicken nuggets!
1 package boneless, skinless chicken breast (24 oz pkg) – I used the thinly sliced breasts from Trader Joes
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup oat bran or low-sugar granola, or your favorite bran cereal, or wheat germ ( you can get creative here and use what you have. I used Trader Joes reduced sugar Triple Nut & Flake cereal but it’s what I had in the house)
2 tbsp flax seed meal, or whole flax seeds
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth, or water
1 egg white
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp rosemary
1. Pre heat oven to 400 deg.
2. Clean chicken and cut into nugget-size chunks
3. Put the rolled oats, whole raw almonds, and whole flaxseeds into a food processor or high-powered blender. Power on until coarsely ground. If you are using already ground flax seed meal just add into a bowl
4. Add all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a fork
5. In a seperate bowl, whisk 1 egg white with the low-sodium chicken broth or water
6. Spray cooking pan with 0-calorie olive oil spray or coconut oil spray
7. Dip the chicken peices in the egg white-broth mixture to wet the chicken, then coat with the healthy ‘breading’ from the dry ingredients. Coat each peice well. Then place in the pan/
8. Once all chicken is coated and laid flat in the pan, bake until crispy (20-30 min).
Serving Size: 1/5 of the entire pan (4.7oz chicken)
Healthy Fat: 8.8 g
Complex Carbohydrates: 10.8 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 0.8 g
Protein: 24.5 g
*This is an original recipe.
#weightloss #complexcarbs #glutenfree #fitnessfood #protein #recipe #cooking #kidfriendly #dairyfree