Enchilada Skillet Chicken
Enchilada Skillet Chicken...YUM.
This recipe is gluten free, corn free and low carb. It can be adjusted to be made dairy free very easily, although it does contain eggs…notice the modifications for diary free below.
• 1 pound (about 2) chicken breasts • ½ cup almond flour - you can use store bought or make your own by grounding whole almonds in a food processor or high speed blender • 2 large eggs, whisked in a bowl • 1 tablespoon butter - replace with Ghee for dairy free • ½ cup red enchilada sauce - personally I like the Hatch brand, it’s gluten free, vegan and made of clean ingredients • ¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese - omit for dairy free • ¼ cup diced onion • Salt and pepper to taste • 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped • 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped • Slices black olives to taste • Green chilies to taste
INSTRUCTIONS 1. Pre heat oven to 400°F.
2. Based on your preference, you can either leave chicken breasts whole or slices them into strips or chunks.
3. Whisk the eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl.
4. Dip the chicken into the whisked egg and then press into the almond flour and evenly coat both sides.
5. Turn oven on to medium-high heat, and let the butter/ghee melt in the pan and coat the entire surface.
6. Lay the chicken down into the pan and brown on both sides, this should only take a few minutes on each side.
7. Don’t worry about cooking the chicken through, just brown the coating.
8. Once the chicken is browned (and you’ll likely see some chunks of brown egg & almond flour mixture), turn off the stovetop and pour in half the can of enchilada sauce or the whole can if your prefer the dish more sauce-y. Be sure to coat each piece of chicken.
9. Sprinkle on the ¼ cup of diced onion, and ¼ cup of shredded cheese (omit the cheese for dairy free).
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
11. Top with cilantro, chives, sliced olives and green chillies.
12. Serve with freshly slices avocado. Pairs well with a fresh garden salad, zucchini noodles, gluten free tortillas or brown rice.
#kidfriendly #weightloss #glutenfree #protein #recipe #cooking